Senior Project Manager – Tacoma, WA
Senior Project Manager
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc.
Location: Tacoma, WA
Northwest Hardwoods is the leading manufacture of hardwood lumber in North America. A fully-integrated, global supplier of wood products, NWH serves the furniture, cabinet, molding and millwork, flooring and RV industries. NWH is looking to fill the role of Senior Manager of Project Management. This position serves the entire business and is aimed at the highest value add, key strategic programs enterprise wide, and will be homed in the Marketing & Strategy group, reporting directly to the VP, Marketing & Strategy.
NWH enjoys a stable, long-tenured workforce with an open, collaborative and family-based culture. The company has recently invested in a complete restructuring which has established strong functional organizations (Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Finance, HR, Marketing) to support the four business units (East, West, Specialty, International). The restructuring has been successful to date, and the senior leadership team wishes to drive additional value creation by the addition of this new role.
The opportunity should appeal to an ambitious manager who is both an individual contributor and leader who will influence direct reports or peers within other departments or functions. In particular, the ideal candidate will develop and direct the planning and execution of multiple projects while successfully supporting the overall strategic agenda. Additionally, this individual will be responsible for developing the structure for a formalized, companywide project management organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and implement a fit-for-purpose PM approach for Northwest Hardwoods, including organization design (e.g. distributed vs. centralized capability), methodology (e.g. adaptive vs. predictive planning) and PM processes
- Shape the interface and alignment with related roles/functions (e.g., the Project Engineer in manufacturing, Continuous Improvement)
- Establish a project management office that provides the Senior Leadership Team visibility to key projects part of its strategic agenda
- Create project scoping documents with key stakeholders to ensure project scope and goals are clearly defined
- Directly lead key, high-value projects to ensure required goals are accomplished within established timeline, budget, and performance objectives
- Develop and maintain timeline, task lists and decision matrix to ensure milestones are completed on time and on budget for a given project in coordination with project leads (for projects not directly managed)
- Continuously monitor project and identify key risks to delivery and work with the project leader (for projects not directly managed) to mitigate risks
- Create and maintain budget for completion of projects, monitor funding to stay within project budgets
- Manage a formal change control process that allows NWH to quickly develop an alternative course of action if need be for project; provide updates to leadership on needed adjustments including any resulting / timing financial impacts
- Contract with outside agencies for support on projects on an as-needed basis
- Manage overlapping priorities and timelines for projects and resources, interfacing with key stakeholder groups to ensure resource availability and alignment
- Perform project reviews at the completion of projects to capture lessons learned and incorporates best practices into future projects
- Effective in managing large, diverse projects and meeting critical deadlines
- Highly engaging, possess excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills; able to connect at all levels in the organization
- Detail oriented with big picture vision
- Ability to foster a sense of team spirit within different departments
- Solid acumen in determining realistic expectations for managing deadlines and budgets
- Excellent analytical ability; ability to quickly understand concepts and think through possible solutions and implications
- Highly competent with Excel and PowerPoint
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently and assertively
- Strong bias to meet on time delivery through motivating key stakeholders to complete work
- Bachelor’s degree or 5 years of relevant experience
- Prefer project management certification (include specific examples like PMP)
- Prefer candidates who have experienced initial establishment of PMO function in a business
- 4+ years of increasing responsibility in project management
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc. provides a competitive benefit package that includes comprehensive medical and dental coverage, short- and long-term disability benefits, life insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, 401(K) Retirement Plan with matching company contribution, and profit-sharing program.
Candidates who meet these qualifications will be considered further.
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.