Log & Timber Procurement – Southern OR
Log & Timber Procurement
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc.
Location: Coos Bay, OR / Eugene, OR
Northwest Hardwoods is the leading manufacture of hardwood lumber in North America. A fully integrated, global supplier of wood products, NWH serves the furniture, cabinet, molding and millwork industries, and operates manufacturing facilities across the united States. We have an immediate opening seeking a full time Forester to support our Procurement team in Southern Oregon.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Overall implementation of Northwest Hardwoods log and timber sale acquisition program to augment the log purchasing program supplying raw materials to our sawmills in Oregon and Washington. This position will report to Western Regional Raw Materials Manager.
The successful candidate will focus on identifying more timber and log acquisition opportunities for log supply to the sawmills in Oregon and Washington. The position will require traveling the Oregon Coast, Coast Range, Northern California as well as various NWH locations. The position will also include a review of land cover types and ownership status of forest land of interest, usually with significant hardwood supply potential. The position will make use of aerial photography to identify tracts that warrant on the ground inspection and owner contact and log or timber purchasing. The position will be located in the Coos Bay area.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Forestry Engineering or related field
- 2 to 5 years of experience in the Pacific Northwest procuring logs, buying timber or in the field is preferred
- Strong knowledge of log and lumber grades
- Knowledge of value extraction fundamentals in wood products, specifically sawmills and in shop lumber
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office with working knowledge of timber cruising tools
- Excellent analytical skills
- Well developed negotiation skills
- Knowledge of timber harvest systems
- Ability to work safely
- Strong skills in problem solving, ability to work through conflict
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong communication skills – written and oral
- Ability to develop peer-to-peer relationships
- Personal, team and contractor safety compliance are required
- This position will report up through the NWH Procurement as part of our Western Hardwoods Business Unit.
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc. provides a competitive benefit package that includes comprehensive medical and dental coverage, short- and long-term disability benefits, life insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, 401(K) Retirement Plan with matching company contribution, and profit-sharing program.
Candidates who meet these qualifications will be considered further.
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.