Director of Transportation – Tacoma, WA / Beachwood, OH
Director of Transportation
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc.
Location: Tacoma, WA or Beachwood, OH
Northwest Hardwoods is the leading manufacture of hardwood lumber in North America. A fully integrated, global supplier of wood products, NWH serves the furniture, cabinet, molding and millwork industries. NWH’s Supply Chain organization is looking to fill the role of Director of Transportation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, lead and manage a high performing team which has responsibility for domestic and import/export shipments.
- Develop a transportation strategy which will include OTR, intermodal and steamship lines.
- Implement the Transportation strategy utilizing any number of local, national and international carriers to provide consistent and reliable transit at the lowest possible cost.
- Manage relationships with all shipping partners, (OTR, intermodal and steamship).
- Develop and maintain transportation and carrier related KPI’s.
- Manage escalations as needed to remedy transportation issues.
- Manage cross border activity with Mexico and Canada. With the help of 3rd party brokers, manage FTZ moves meeting all regulatory expectations.
- Negotiate contracts with freight carriers; conduct RFP as needed.
- Manage appropriate technologies, such as TMS, to take advantage of efficiencies and improve performance.
- Work collaboratively with leaders across the organization; proactively communicate so that we can set reasonable expectations and price accordingly.
The successful candidate will step into a role that has an exciting mix of both strategic and operational responsibilities and significantly impacts the company’s overall performance.
- BA/BS in Supply Chain Management, Business, Logistics, or similar field or 10-15 years transportation and/or operations management experience.
- 8+ years team management experience.
- Extensive transportation experience across a variety of modes; OTR, intermodal and steamship lines.
- Experience conducting RFPs and negotiating transportation contracts.
- Highly knowledgeable with logistics and supply chain best practices and processes.
- Strong leader with examples of improving performance and cost savings; KPI implementation experience.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; Ability to identify gaps, recommend improvements and take action.
- Experience with TMS.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with capacity to cultivate and maintain strong working relationships.
- This role will report to the Vice President of Supply Chain.
- Transportation department is currently divided into two teams, export/imports and domestic, and consists of 18 full time employees spread across three offices.
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc. provides a competitive benefit package that includes comprehensive medical and dental coverage, short- and long-term disability benefits, life insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, 401(K) Retirement Plan with matching company contribution, and profit-sharing program.
Candidates who meet these qualifications will be considered further.
To apply please submit your resume and letter of interest to: email@example.com
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.