Log Yard Assistant – Buena Vista, VA
Log Yard Assistant
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc.
Location: Buena Vista, VA
This is a Full Time, Hourly position
Number of Openings: 1
Background: Northwest Hardwoods is a world-class, integrated, global supplier of wood products to the furniture, cabinet, flooring, molding and millwork industries. We serve the industrial market segment worldwide. We are searching for a candidate who is a team player and who also enjoys challenging work.
Position Summary: As a member of our Procurement team, the successful candidate for this position will assist in the preparation and supply of logs to our local sawmills. This will include the receipt, purchase, storing, transfer, and sale of logs.
- Prepare logs for sale by using chainsaw and related equipment to trim and cut logs to desired quality specifications
- Properly handle, move, and store logs in inventory and in prepared loads
- Follow established procedures to document and track the receipt, movement, and sale of logs
- Take part in the receiving, purchasing, loading, selling, and shipping processes
- Other duties as required by Supervisor
- Proper use, care, and maintenance of chainsaw and related equipment
- Ability to use chainsaw for up to 8 hours daily
- Continuous lifting and moving of 50 pounds or more
- Knowledge and experience in identifying and recognizing tree species of the Eastern US
- Ability to work outdoors year-round in all weather conditions
- Ability and desire to wear personal protective equipment at all times and follow established safety procedures
- Experience with mobile equipment such as front end loaders and knuckle boom loaders preferred
- Experience in log scaling and grading preferred
- Must pass drug screen and background prior to employment
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc. provides a competitive benefit package that includes comprehensive medical and dental coverage, short and long-term disability benefits, life insurance, paid vacation, 8 paid holidays, 401(K) Retirement Plan with matching company contribution, and profit sharing program.
To apply please submit your resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Northwest Hardwoods, Inc is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.